DISCUSS TWO HIGH PRIORITY NURSING STRATEGIES USED TO MANAGE A CHILD WITH A SEVERE ACUTE EXACERBATION OF ASTHMA AND PROVIDE RATIONALES FOR THESE STRATEGIES.
In a severe acute exacerbation of asthma explain the pathogenesis that results in widespread expiratory wheezes and dyspnoea.
Question 2. (200 words) (Learning outcome 3)
Discuss two high priority nursing strategies used to manage a child with a severe acute exacerbation of asthma and provide rationales for these strategies.
Question 3. (300 words) (Learning outcome 3)
To manage a severe acute exacerbation of asthma in a child continuous nebulised salbutamol is given. Three doses of ipratropium is added to the nebuliser at 20 minute intervals.
a) Discuss the mode of action of each of these drugs (salbutamol and ipratropium) relating to the underlying pathogenesis.
b) Relating your answer to the pharmacology of the two drugs, discuss nursing implications including how you will monitor and respond to adverse effects and how you will evaluate the therapeutic effect.
When answering questions:
• Responses are to use full sentences, paragraphs, correct spelling and grammar.
• All sources to be referenced using APA style.
• There is a word limit of 1000 words for the assignment. Each question has been allocated a word limit .Use your computer to total the number of words used in each question. In-text citations will be included in the additional 10% word count. If you exceed the word limit by more than 10% the marker will stop marking at:
500 words plus 10% in question 1
200 words plus 10% in question 2
300 words plus 10% in question 3
Please use 2-3 journal articles all reference must not be more then five years old.
Aim of assessment
The purpose of this assessment is to enable students to:
1. Explain in visual format (concept map) the causes, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnostic procedures, management, course, prognosis and prevention of a severe acute exacerbation of childhood asthma. (Learning outcome 1)
2. Discuss nursing strategies and evidence-based rationales to manage a child with a severe acute exacerbation of asthma. (Learning outcome 4)
3. Describe the nursing role and responsibilities in the use of pharmacological interventions related to a severe acute exacerbation of asthma. (Learning outcome 3)