Directions: Assuming the role of the case manager, consider the following case:
You are a case manager at a state-supported boarding school for the blind where you help clients as they prepare for the transition from boarding school to independent living and work. One of your newest clients is 17-year-old student, Edward. He is classified as legally blind and due to his vision impairment, he is unable to obtain a driver’s license. Edward is an only child and at the age of 14 lost both of his parents to an automobile accident. He has no known living relatives. Edward received counseling for his grief and excelled at his studies and social behaviors despite his challenges. While at the boarding school, Edward developed an interest in mathematics and computers. He would like to pursue a degree in computer engineering at a local college. Edward is open to help from you and knows that he needs assistance in applying to college, finding somewhere to live, developing a support network, and securing transportation.
- In working with Edward on developing a written plan for service delivery, what are 3 goals you would include in the plan?
- Using the SMART model (pg. 246 in the Generalist Case Management: A Method of Human Service Delivery textbook) create objectives for each goal that will help guide Edward towards achieving his goals.
- Determine one internal and one external resource that you would assign to each goal to help link Edward to additional support networks.
Submission: Initial responses and replies should be at least 150 words and of high quality. In your initial post you MUST:
- develop 3 goals that would fit Edward’s case
- using the SMART model, create corresponding objectives for each goal assign 1 external and 1 internal resource for each goal that you would include in the plan to further support Edward in achieving his goals
- support your ideas with evidence and examples from the text and one additional source
- use APA style for all references and in-text citations