I need support with this Psychology question so I can learn better.
Addressing Social Concerns in Adolescence
Reflecting on your readings and other articles you locate in the professional literature, take some time to explore social and emotional issues with clients and students.
For this discussion, imagine that you are working with a 17-year-old adolescent and his family. They have come to see you because the teen is not attending school regularly and states that he intends to drop out because school is boring. He wants to start working and be treated like an adult. His parents state that they are willing to treat him like an adult if he prepares for his future appropriately and can demonstrate that he will be able to find a job he enjoys and earn enough income to support himself. He is not sure what kind of career path he would like to follow and would consider vocational training. He also wants to be around his friends more, playing video games and hanging out at the local mall.
As the counselor, what knowledge about social and cognitive development do you need to know about as you begin your work with this teen? How would you go about locating resources that would be helpful for the teen and his family? Include in your post at least two resources from a local search in your region and at least two online resources that the teen could access to support his developmental growth process in adolescence.
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Examine developmental states and critical events of crisis.
- Plan the application of theory to individual cases.
- Develop communications appropriate for the audience.
Use your Counseling Individuals Through the Lifespan text to read the following:
- Chapter 8, “Early Adolescence (13 to 18 Years),” pages 167–185.
- Chapter 9, “Late Adolescence (19 to 25 Years),” pages 189–206.
Use the Capella library to read the following:
- Bakker, M. P., Ormel, J., Verhulst, F. C., & Oldehinkel, A. J. (2012). Childhood family instability and mental health problems during late adolescence: A test of two mediation models—the TRAILS study. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 41(2), 166–176. doi:10.1080/15374416.2012.651990
- Hawkins, M., Villagonzalo, K., Sanson, A., Toumbourou, J., Letcher, P., & Olsson, C. (2012). Associations between positive development in late adolescence and social, health, and behavioral outcomes in young adulthood. Journal of Adult Development, 19(2), 88–99.
- Johnson, D. P., Whisman, M. A., Corley, R. P., Hewitt, J. K., & Rhee, S. H. (2012). Association between depressive symptoms and negative dependent life events from late childhood to adolescence. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 40(8), 1385–1400.
- Hogue, A., Liddle, H. A., Singer, A., & Leckrone, J. (2005). Intervention fidelity in family-based prevention counseling for adolescent problem behaviors. Journal of Community Psychology, 33(2), 191–211.
Use the Internet to read the following:
- Doyle, C. J. (2018). A new family systems therapeutic approach for parents and families of sexual minority youth. Issues in Law & Medicine, 33(2), 223–234. Retrieved from https://heinonline.org/HOL/P?h=hein.journals/ilmed…
Optional – Readings
You may choose to read the following:
- Ferrari, M., Yap, K., Scott, N., Einstein, D. A., & Ciarrochi, J. (2018). Self-compassion moderates the perfectionism and depression link in both adolescence and adulthood. PLoS One, 13(2), 1–19.
- Padilla-Walker, L. M., Son, D., & Nelson, L. J. (2018). A longitudinal growth mixture model of child disclosure to parents across adolescence. Journal of Family Psychology, 32(4), 475–483.
- Branson, V., Turnbull, D., Dry, M. J., & Palmer, E. (2018). How do young people experience stress? A qualitative examination of the indicators of distress and eustress in adolescence. International Journal of Stress Management. doi:10.1037/str0000102
WHY SHOULD YOU HIRE EXPERT ACADEMIC WRITERS?
Answering this question is not essay as it seems. It will require you to research or burn your brain power, write your findings down, edit, proofread severally, and submit unsure of the grade you will get. Essay96.com assignment writers are offering to take care of that. Order your assignment now, relax, submit, and enjoy excellent grades. We guarantee you 100% original answers, timely delivery, and some free products.