Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) is an evidence-based practice intervention used to identify, reduce, and prevent problematic use, abuse, and dependence on substances such as tobacco, alcohol and illicit drugs. The SBIRT model was incited by an Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendation that called for community-based screening for health risk behaviors. The purpose of this assignment is to integrate SBIRT into nursing practice to help stimulate positive change at the individual and population focused level of care.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO3: Plan prevention and population-focused interventions for vulnerable populations using professional clinical judgment and evidence-based practice. (PO 4, 8)
- CO4: Evaluate the delivery of care for individuals, families, aggregates, and communities based on theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines. (PO1)
Submit your completed SBIRT presentation by 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday of Week 6.
ORDER ASSIGNMENT HELP
Points: 225 points
SBIRT consists of three major components.
- Screening—A healthcare professional assesses a patient for concerning behaviors using standardized screening tools. Screening can occur in any healthcare setting.
- Brief Intervention—A healthcare professional engages a patient in a short conversation, providing feedback and advice regarding concerning behaviors.
- Referral to Treatment—A healthcare professional provides a referral to resources and/or treatment options and additional services available (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration [SAMHSA], n.d.)
- Prior to starting the presentation, you are to read the assigned training. SBIRT Education. (n.d.). Overview of screening, assessment and brief intervention: a nursing response to the full spectrum of substance use. Retrieved from https://hospitalsbirt.webs.com/nursingsbirt.htm (Links to an external site.)
- Choose “Watch On Demand Recording”
- Start at minute 9:08/slide 12, end at 1hr 27 sec. (slide 80)
Or you may go directly to the YouTube video:SBIRT Education. (2015, May 10). Overview of SBIRT: a nursing response to the full spectrum of substance use [Video File]. Retrieved from Overview of SBIRT: A Nursing Response to the Full Spectrum of Substance Use (Links to an external site.) Use this BNI checklist for the role play at the end: BNI Checklist (Links to an external site.) SBIRT Education. (n.d.). Brief negotiated interview checklist [PDF Document]. Retrieved from https://hospitalsbirt.webs.com/nursingsbirt.htm (Links to an external site.) You are encouraged to review the assignment tutorial found at the end of the Academic Integrity Reminder.
- Choose “Watch On Demand Recording”
- Next, choose one addiction or problem to focus on for this assignment from the options below.
- Drug use (prescription or illicit)
- You must be specific to which drug you are choosing
- You are required to use one of the problems listed above. Assignments that do not follow the current guidelines or use the required forms or templates will be evaluated for evidence of an academic integrity violation. After the due date, there will be no opportunity for revision or resubmission of assignments that have been uploaded to the submission area. It is your responsibility to submit the correct assignment to the correct submission area.
- After you have chosen the addiction/problem, you are to research SBIRT training specific to that problem/addition. Before starting to work on the presentation, it is vital you understand how SBIRT is used with that particular addiction/problem. You must find at least two scholarly resources (other than readings assigned in the course) and one video resource. Search YouTube for one SBIRT training video from a reputable source that shows a provider using SBIRT with a patient. Watch this video so that you understand the steps of SBIRT.
- You may choose to complete this assignment as a PowerPoint poster or PowerPoint multiple slide presentation. Download the SBIRT PowerPoint poster (Links to an external site.) or slide presentation template (Links to an external site.).
- Submit the completed PowerPoint poster or slide presentation by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 6.
- Length: The poster should be one page with all boxes on template complete. The slide presentation should be no more than twelve slides, not including the title and references slide
You can hire someone to answer this question! Yes, essay96.com has paper writers dedicated to completing research and summaries, critical thinking tasks, essays, coursework, and other homework tasks. It's fast and safe.