Cognitive Development Theory
Cognitive development theory posits that individuals advance through different stages. One example of how this knowledge can be applied in social work is when working with children. Social workers need to have a good understanding of child cognitive development to recognize normative patterns of development and be alert to issues of concern. They can recognize patterns of overall development and be able to detect when a childâ€™s development may be delayed or developmental milestones are missed. This knowledge is key to promoting the well-being of children and is also a vital component of family support, assessment, and planning interventions.
Cognitive theory is also highly applicable in working with adolescents and adults. The theory posits that thinking, not emotion, should be the focus of intervention, and assumes that people have the potential to correct irrational or distorted beliefs. A social worker can work with a client to determine the cognitive distortions of a situation. For example, a disorder that features cognitive symptoms is anorexia nervosa. An individual refuses to maintain a reasonable body weight because of distorted beliefs about physical appearance and the effects of food on the body. During intervention, the social worker can help a client through techniques directed at both cognitive and behavioral modifications and work to strengthen the clientâ€™s sense of self by bringing balance to emotional and cognitive experiences.
Moral Development Theory
Moral development is related to cognitive development in that it proceeds in stages. Through family and environmental influences, children learn the social and moral values of their culture. During childhood and adolescence, the foundations of morality are established. Social workers can be attuned for signs of the different stages of cognitive and moral development to assist clients with personal dilemmas and help them achieve happier, more fulfilling lives.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Explore the impact diversity and difference have in shaping life experiences (PLO #2)
- Demonstrate understanding of person-in-environment from a developmental perspective (PLO #6)
- Textbook:â€¯Contemporary Human Behavior Theory: A Critical Perspective for Social Work
- Video: “I am the Son of a Terrorist. Here’s How I Chose Peace” (TED Talk) – Zak Ebrahim
The broad array of theories presented in your readings for this assignment offer important concepts to aid social workers in our understanding of the historical, social, political, and economic factors that have an impact on peopleâ€™s lives.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- In your textbook,â€¯Contemporary Human Behavior Theory: A Critical Perspective for Social Work, read Chapter 9, â€œTheories of Cognitive and Moral Development.â€
- Watch the video â€œTerroristâ€™s Son: I Chose Peace over Extremismâ€. You can also download the Terroristâ€™s Son I Chose Peace Over Extremism – transcript.pdf file.
- If you are not already logged in to the Off-Campus Library Services (OCLS) website, you will be prompted to enter your OCLS login and password.
- In an APA formatted paper, respond to the following prompts:
- How can environmental and familial factors influence moral development during middle childhood? Support your answer with information from the readings.
- What happened inÂÂ Zakâ€™s life that enabled him to choose a different life path than his father did?
- Apply Kohlbergâ€™s theory of moral development to Zakâ€™s story. How does this theory help us understand his journey?
- If Zak were your client, how would you help him process his feelings of loss and grief?
- Before finalizing your work, ensure that you:
- Have followed the assignment instructions carefully.
- Use the computerâ€™s spelling and grammar check.
- Use APA format for organization, style, and source credits, including:
- 12-point, double-spaced Times New Roman font
- One-inch margins on all sides
- Normal character spacing
- In-text citations
- Title page and reference page (may not have reference page as it is not required to list Bible in references)
- Properly formatted headings
- Self-assess your assignment using the rubric and make improvements as needed to meet expectations and ensure that your work fulfills all the requirements.
- When you have completed your assignment, save a copy for yourself and submit a copy to your instructor through Brightspace by the end of the workshop.
WHY SHOULD YOU HIRE EXPERT ACADEMIC WRITERS?
Answering this question is not essay as it seems. It will require you to research or burn your brain power, write your findings down, edit, proofread severally, and submit unsure of the grade you will get. Essay96.com assignment writers are offering to take care of that. Order your assignment now, relax, submit, and enjoy excellent grades. We guarantee you 100% original answers, timely delivery, and some free products.