I don’t know how to handle this English question and need guidance.
Hello there, I need help and the prompt is below, just follow what the professor wants.
Knowing what you don’t know
Complete test and post results by the end of Wednesday.
The philosopher, Socrates, famously said, “I know that I know nothing.” This phrase is taken from Plato’s dialogue Apology:
For my part, as I went away, I reasoned with regard to myself: “I am wiser than this human being. For probably neither of us knows anything noble and good, but he supposes he knows something when he does not know, while I, just as I do not know, do not even suppose that I do. I am likely to be a little bit wiser than he in this very thing: that whatever I do not know, I do not even suppose I know” (21d).
The point in this passage is not just about knowing what you don’t know, but that really knowing anything itself is a difficult business, a difficultly you’ll become very familiar with in your academic studies.
The nature of knowledge aside, understanding the gaps in your education is also vital, for how do you know what to study if you don’t know what you know?
We all know someone from our jobs or personal life who thinks they know more than they really do. We are all wary of people with this kind of false knowledge. Academics have taken the lesson of Socrates to heart and check their blind spots. In this class we discussed “peer reviewed” texts. Part of peer review is that scholars point out resources or knowledge that the authors may not have considered.
Another major problem in education is that people often have a very poor sense of their own abilities. Perceptions about your skills have a lot more to do with your feelings than your actual skills. These impressions may go way back. Perhaps a bad teacher made a subject seem inscrutable. Perhaps English wasn’t your first language, so you feel you will never be a good writer. We all have these feelings and preconceptions about our talents. Sometimes they may be based in fact, but often we are just judging ourselves too harshly.
To compound this, most freshmen know very little about college itself. They don’t know what scholars do, what their course work will be like, or even the major fields of study. Universities know this and plan their curriculum to help. National University is no different. In all undergraduate programs, you are required to take what are called “General Education” classes. These classes are meant to help you explore various subjects. Perhaps you never felt drawn to the sciences until you took a psychology class in college. Perhaps you didn’t even know the difference between psychology and sociology.
Exploring and changing direction is natural. Some studies say that up to 75% of college undergraduates change their majors. Even if you never waver from your chosen educational path, General Education courses are meant to make you a well-rounded thinker who can approach a problem from a variety of perspectives, someone with a broad intellectual skill set.
In this assignment, we are going to ask you to do something that is of extreme importance to your success as a student, and which is also highly valuable for you in thinking about your skill sets and your future. Please note there are several steps in this process.
We are going to ask you to take an evaluation test. This is a General Education test. This test is about two hours long and covers critical thinking, reading, writing, and math. The test will be scored automatically and you’ll be given a report on your performance instantly. We want to strongly reiterate the value of this test to your success and the way that National University can tailor its support services to assist you, so make sure to complete it to the best of your abilities.
STEP 1: What Do You Think You Know?
To begin, write a 200-word (minimum) paragraph about your expectations. What section of the test do you think you’ll do the best on, the worst? (Writing, critical thinking, readings, or math). How do you perceive your skills? What, in general, do you think you are good at in college assignments? Where do you see your shortcomings?
After completing all the steps below, post this reflection on the associated Discussion Board 1.
STEP 2: Watch the Video
Before taking the ETS Proficiency Profile, watch the following video: https://www.ted.com/talks/carol_dweck_the_power_of_believing_that_you_can_improve?utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare
After watching the video, take the test – STEP 3 below.
STEP 3: Test Your Predictions
Next, you need to actually take the test. Your score on this test won’t affect your grade in the class; you will simply get the points for completing it and posting the results in the assignment. However, your instructor will be able to see your results and it will be clear if you simply did not try. Also, you will be asked to reflect on your scores, so it will be a lot more meaningful if you make your best effort.
Notes on this exam:
- The exam typically takes about 2 hours to complete.
- Close an in-progress test if interrupted by a visitor, meeting, etc. If allowed to remain open, the test clock will continue to run and may expire before you have had an opportunity to review the entire test.
- Close an in-progress test by simply closing the browser window. DO NOT close a test by clicking the “Exit” or “End” buttons—this action will disable the test link and block you from resuming your review of the test. The only time you should click “Exit” or “End” is to move forward from the sample test to the actual test content.
- The test begins with the information about the test, a tutorial, and a sample test. To view the actual test questions, follow the screen prompts to proceed through informational sections.
AFTER THE TEST, BUT BEFORE writing your Reflection, read the following Article: https://www.stns.org/downloads/NAISBrainology.CarolDweck.pdf
In your Reflections writing, refer to both the video and the article, stating how they did/did not apply to you, what you gained from them and how they changed your approach to the test, and to your attitude towards the results of the test. There will be points awarded for write-up that references the video and the article.
TO ACCESS THE TEST:
The University invites you to complete the ETS Proficiency Profile
For testing system difficulties, technical support is available at 800-514-8491 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The special browser will launch automatically when you click ‘run’ when prompted.
1. Close all work and exit all programs before beginning test.
2. To begin, access the http://etsreadiness.ets.org, on the bottom of the page, #2 Download the ETS Online Testing Browser, select “Get the ETS Online Testing Browser”
3. You will be prompted with a Security Warning asking: Do you want to run or save this file? Click Save.
4. When prompted with the Save As dialog, choose Desktop and click Save.
4. Launch the “ETS Online Testing Browser” from the Desktop to begin the ETS-PP. (You may be prompted with the Security Warning: Are you sure you want to run this software? Uncheck the box: Always ask before opening this file and click Run.)
5. When the browser opens, you will be asked to enter this Session Code.
The session code for this test is:
Session Code: 423448-135196684
6. Select the ‘Beginning’ radio button, if this is your first session/time then select ‘Submit’. If you stopped the exam and are returning to complete it, select the ‘Returning’ radio button.
7. Once you sign in with the session number, you must create a profile with your full name, ID Number and email.
IMPORTANT NOTE* be sure to use the email you have registered with blackboard.
8. When you begin (1st time) you will be asked to complete a Personal Profile. Answer ALL the YELLOWed items as best you can, however you must create a password in the event you do NOT complete the ETS-PP& need to return later, e.g. computer crashes.
9. When all the YELLOW-ed items are complete, press ‘Submit’!
Again, we suggest you allow enough time (approx. 2 hours) to complete the Proficiency Profile.
10. Select Start Test! Read the brief instructions then take the tutorial and 3-item sample test. Once you have actually begun the ETS-PP, you will have two hours to complete the test. When you are finished with the exam, you will be provided with a .pdf report of your scores. Please save this .pdf to your computer. If you forget to do this, you will be sent an email to your email address with a link on how to re-access the course and retrieve your scores. Next, upload your .pdf to this assignment. If you successfully upload it by the due date, you will receive the points for completion.
Let me know if you’ll have any question or any link that you want me to send you. Also, let me know if you’ll need my info for the profile.
WHY SHOULD YOU HIRE EXPERT ACADEMIC WRITERS?
Answering this question is not essay as it seems. It will require you to research or burn your brain power, write your findings down, edit, proofread severally, and submit unsure of the grade you will get. Essay96.com assignment writers are offering to take care of that. Order your assignment now, relax, submit, and enjoy excellent grades. We guarantee you 100% original answers, timely delivery, and some free products.